of the machined barrel
machined barrel is constructed that way it fits to the exsisting kit
instead of the plastic barrel. But it has a weight of estimated 400
and is therefore much more heavy. This must be compensated by several
barrel consists of two parts, which need to be glued with superglue
or screw safety glue (Anaerobic glue). This should be done after the
is placed into the cradle, to make handleing easier.
barrel is placed in the cradle of the K5 and glued or screwed to it,
of the plastic parts. The barrel end rests in the lock tight. So the
barrel has a weight of about 400g the lock needs additional weight
Ideal are lead shot pellets (available in gun-/fishing shops).
putting the barrel in place the ballast needs to be sealed in the lock
with resin or superglue. This should be done in several steps, to
heating up and let the glue set. As to be seen below I added a
tube, which has the fitting diameter. So the lock was sealed to the
(by glueing on a strip of stiff paper). Are you lacking a fitting tube,
so make one by wrapping cardboard around the barrel end and glue it
whiteglue. After it set strip it off and ready.
the gap in the bottom of the lock, which takes part B26 later on, the
and glue/ resin can be poured in. Do it alternating to make sure all
stick together and don't rattle later. This way the weight of the lock
can be lifted 200g. This will not be enough to balance the barrel, but
it helps to lower the needed forces. The whole barrel now has a weight
of almost 680g.
the lower cradle support structure is only glued on with less strength,
it needs some support to prevent it from breaking. The supportbox which
will be glued to the cradle later on, should be assembled beforehand.
the connecting surfaces are small, it is necessary to give them more
by glueing on 0,3mm thick plastic sheets to the front couplers at the
Also the lower backside one needs to get a 0,5mm thick sheet all over
inside surface too. This increases the strength a lot.
the boxlike space underneath the barrel fulcrum, right between the fake
hydraulic cylinders, a plate can be placed. It locks into the gap on
left and the right side of this box and gives the possibility to screw
it onto the barrel.
made a plate of 30x42mm from 3mm styrene, which can be placed into this
boxlike space. Below it a block of Ureol (a modelmaking material from
or wood was fitted in. Both parts where held in place temporaryly by
tape and drilled through with two centred 4mm holes. The parts where
and glued in place afterwards. The lower cradle support structure was
glued to the cradle. Next the lock and barrel where put in place dry,
and the centerholes for two M4 screw where drilled through. After the
was cut all parts can be screwed together easy. A glueing of the lock
cradle isn't realy necessary at all anymore, but can be done. Now the
can be transfered to the support structure without problems. A break
is almost impossible.
leading the forces becomes more delicate, because the hydralic lifting
cylinder is fake and nonfunctional. To build the barrel movable needs
preparation. Will it be build in the lowered position this is not
prevent a constant load on the moving parts, it is necessary to block
or scratch build additional parts. More information can be found at The
so much on that. It is possible to do!
to the carriage ballast should be added. Therfore at the far ends,
they are closed, lead pellets should be filled in.
final assembly the stability and movability of the barrel should be
because they can't be changed afterwards anymore.
lock block lacks a little in dimensions and fit. Inbetween the barrel
and the block is a gap of minimum 0,5mm. In original this means
Also the lower guide slot is visible in the lock it is missing on the
and needs to be added. I changed this by glueing on to strips of
and sanded them to fit. I didn't mind if the dimensions are true to the
original in this case at all, but now it works perfect.